Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hi Everybody!

This is what I think this blog is about. We are artists who have been paying attention to what goes on in the art world, our culture and society. We are not happy about how things are and want to take action to shake things up, wake up other artists and people in general. Personally I believe being an artist comes with the responsibility to be a mind opener, enchanter, provocateur, someone who messes with conventional programming and actively or passively :) contributes to human evolution. This blog should be a place for people who are not afraid to take risks, who speak what is on their minds about art today and who are not afraid of being judged. Basically it should be an open portal for any expression we want to make in any form. It is also encouraged to critique and react to what people put out here. We have established this to have a vivid dialogue among artists who are well aware of our culture and of what the artworld wants to see and hear to be regarded as a "successful artist" but don't give a damn if it doesn't serve the evolution of art and our personal artistic development. This is not for the feable minded artist who only looks for approval and can't handle any intellectual punches. This doesn't mean that we should fight. It just means that we should be able to express our thoughts and emotions freely without fear of judgement. If you will be judged, you don't have to take it persobnally or it can be food for thought. We also don't have to agree on everything. I like to do a short visualisation before I enter this space visualizing that any and all blockages, fears and limitations are dissolved and my mind and feelings flow freely. I surround myself with love and connect with my heart chakra. Then I connnect my heart with my brain and my power center. I open myself to the universe and ask that my talents and inspiration may be used for the good of all. I am free of anger, doubt and fear, and smile. That doesn't mean I turn off my intellect. It just puts me in a better place for action and interaction.

Here is something about Joseph Beuys' work that I find inspiring. Multiples can be produced via media in larger and cheaper amounts than ever. I believe that has a huge impact on art and also a lot of potential.

-i

Joseph Beuys Multiples

The influential German artist Joseph Beuys regarded multiples as a crucial aspect of his activity that, because of their low cost and reproducibility, could communicate his ideas to great numbers of people. He made nearly 600 multiples from 1965 to 1985 in myriad forms: in addition to graphic works--woodcuts, etchings, lithographs, and screenprints--there are found objects, photographs, records, audio cassettes, videotapes, films, books, leaflets, posters, postcards, printed matter, and works that inventively combine these media. The themes explored in the multiples echo and restate those addressed in every other realm of his activity, from politics, teaching, and environmental activism to sculpture, performance, and drawing, thus providing access to the full range of his ideas.

Joseph Beuys (1921 - 1986) is one of the most celebrated artists to have come of age in post-World War II Europe. His life was a gesamtkunstwerk (total artwork) into which he poured all of his abundant energy, passion, and creative genius. His artistic activity--powerfully evocative sculptures, multiples, drawings, films, and performance events--is inseparable from his political activism, his teaching, and the charismatic persona he shaped for himself as shaman, prophet, and visionary. Beuys believed wholeheartedly in the power of art to effect social change. Today, his influence can be seen in the work of a generation of artists who absorbed his ideas about the unity of life, art, and the social organism.

No comments: